Sunday, July 19, 2009

Off we go....

On Sunday July 5th, we headed out of Salt Lake for our new adventure in North Carolina. We traveled for many, many, okay way too many hours and ended up in our new home in Winston Salem around midnight Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. It was the longest drive ever and I am so glad that we don't have to do it again for at least two years. The kids were amazing though which definitely helped the time go by a little easier. Not one of them complained once about when are we going to be there or being tired of being in the car so long. Max and Eliza rode with me in our truck and Gage rode with Blake in the rental truck. Although we made it to our destination safely, we did have a couple of bumps along the way.

Our first day went very smoothly, we drove forever and made it really far. We stopped around 3:30 a.m. and were just going to sleep for a few hours at a truck stop. Kind of ghetto I know, but we weren't tired and were anxious to keep driving and then when we finally were ready to stop it seemed kind of pointless to get a hotel room for just a few hours and our kids were sound asleep as it was. This proved to be disastrous though because we woke up the next morning pulled up to the pumps to get gas and I stupidly put regular gas in our diesel truck. I didn't think anything of it because the handle was green and the handles for diesel are always green. Then Blake noticed what I did and asked me if I had just put regular gas in his truck. Oh my gosh, I saw my life flash before my eyes!!! Not really, but I could tell that he was furious. He handled it so well though and just walked away. I called a mechanic shop and they had to come tow our truck and the trailer behind it to their shop to siphon out all of the fuel and then power flush it with diesel fuel to completely clean it out of all of the regular gas. It wasted so much time and money and I felt sooo bad for being so careless. When we finally got back on the road we didn't get very far, I think we only drove for about six or seven hours that day. To top it off, every time we stopped for gas the kids would remind me not to put in the wrong gas. Talk about rubbing it in! Later that night I apologized again to Blake and he said it was okay and that we would probably laugh about it someday. I sure hope so, but it wasn't very funny at the time. We did stay at a hotel that night though and were able to swim and wind down. Then we ate a delicious BBQ restaurant that we would definitely eat at again were we ever in Missouri.

The next day everything was going great, making good time when I felt the trailer swaying. I immediately pulled over and knew I had to have a flat tire. The crazy thing is that moments before I had a feeling that I needed to find my phone, which I couldn't find. When I pulled over I was looking for it frantically because I could see Blake driving away from me oblivious to the fact that I had stopped. I had been following him the whole trip because his truck was much slower, so I was letting him set the pace but he wasn't able to see me pull over because of it. I found my phone pretty quick, but by the time I called him it was too late for him to stop so he had to wait until the next exit, flip around and get back on the freeway to come back towards me, get off again only to flip around again. It was such a pain for him, but he never showed it. When I first got out of the truck to see which tire was flat I was very surprised at what I found. One of the trailer tires was completely shredded and the fender was almost all the way torn off. I couldn't believe because I pulled over the minute I felt it pulling. Lucky for us Blake was prepared and bought a spare tire for the trailer right before we left. I am so thankful that Blake was prepared ahead of time and bought a spare tire for the trailer!

We got back on the road and I called the Elder's Quorum President to tell him that we just weren't going to make it on time. That we were going to be getting in really late and to see if we could get help to move in the next day instead. He was so nice and offered to bring in some air mattresses for us, but I thanked him and told him it wasn't necessary. Well when we finally pulled into our new neighborhood we were all very tired and I was even a little grumpy because we had gotten lost very briefly. When we walked into the house that all changed because the Elder's Quorum President and his wife had brought over two air mattresses and left some things for breakfast. There were bagels, muffins, fruit, milk, juice, a very nice note, and even ice cream sandwiches in the freezer, and a darling girl from Young Women's made us brownies. I couldn't believe how kind these people we had never even met were being to us. It was soooo generous and extremely appreciated! The next day a different girl from YW's called me to ask if she could come over for the next three days and help me unpack or watch the kids while Blake and I unpack. I couldn't believe that this sixteen year old girl would waste her summer days offering to watch our kids - how generous. Unfortunately, I couldn't take her up on her offer because the H3A seminar was for the next three days, I felt very bad declining such a sweet offer. Then another family brought us dinner that night and invited us over for Sunday dinner when they came to help unpack our moving truck. What, is this ward for real??? It has been amazing so far. We have been treated so kindly and our kids have been so welcomed into their new classes. I think these next two years are going to go by very nicely for us!




No comments: